24-Hour HAZWOPER Occasional Site Worker
According to 29 CFR1910.120 (e), OSHA requires 24-hours of specialized training for individuals who work on controlled or hazardous sites. 24 Hour HAZWOPER Training is designed for workers who are NOT involved in direct clean-up actions (generally referred to as working conditions that require a protection level of "C or above)
Employees who work where hazardous materials may be encountered, prepared, packaged, labeled, marked, stored, or shipped for disposal and any facility where hazardous materials are treated, stored, or disposed of will be required to receive 24 Hour HAZWOPER Training!
Workers attending the 24-Hour HAZWOPER seminar will cover health and safety procedures during work operations at hazardous material sites.
Who needs 24 Hour HAZWOPER Training?
24-Hour HAZWOPER Training is for workers that work at controlled or hazardous sites but are not required to deal directly with cleanup, conditions that don’t require a protection level of “C or above.
If you aren’t sure if you need 24 Hour HAZWOPER Training or any other course we offer, please start a chat above with the chat button or call us for more information or with any other questions you may have! Call us at 800-711-2706
24 Hour HAZWOPER Training
A few Positions that require 24 Hour HAZWOPER training include:
- Drillers Surveyors
- Contractors Administrative Personnel
- Drivers And more!
Job duties that require 24 Hour HAZWOPER Certification
Removal or handling of:
- Underground Pipes or Underground Tanks
- Contaminated Soil Groundwater
- Subsurface Investigations
The HAZWOPER standard applies to five distinct groups of employers and their employees. This includes employees who are exposed or may potentially be exposed to hazardous substances-- including hazardous waste--and are engaged in one of the following operations as specified by 1910.120(a)(1)(i-v) and 1926.65(a)(1)(i-v):
- Clean-up operations-required by a governmental body, whether federal, state, local, or other involving hazardous substances-- that are conducted at uncontrolled hazardous waste sites;
- Corrective actions involving clean-up operations at sites covered by the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act of 1976 (RCRA) as amended (42 U.S.C. 6901 et seq.);
- Voluntary clean-up operations at sites recognized by federal, state, local, or other governmental body as uncontrolled hazardous waste sites;
- Operations involving hazardous wastes that are conducted at treatment, storage, and disposal facilities (TSDF's) regulated by Title 40 Code of Federal Regulations Parts 264 and 265 pursuant to RCRA, or by agencies under agreement with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to implement RCRA regulations; and
- Emergency response operations for releases of, or substantial threats of release of, hazardous substances, regardless of the location of the hazard.
- OSHA Regulations
- General Safety Hazards
- Planning and Organization
- Chemical Hazards ID Systems
- Hazard Communication for HAZWOPER
- Ionizing Radiation
- Respiratory Protection
- Chemical Protective Equipment
- Heat Stress
- Medical Surveillance
- Meters and Monitoring
- Fire Protection Requirements
- Confined Spaces
- 24 Hour HAZWOPER Exam
Upon successful completion of the 24 Hour HAZWOPER Course, students will:
- Understand how hazardous materials are handled, identified, and human responses to exposure
- Learn the importance of the Health and Safety Plan (HSP)
- Incorporate the knowledge of what to do in case of site emergencies
- Use appropriate safety methods and work practice controls while working with hazardous materials
- Recognize signs and labels that are used to alert personnel of danger involving hazardous materials
Required time to complete this course: 24 Hours of Classroom Training
Looking for one of our other HAZWOPER Courses?
- 24 Hour HAZWOPER Training Online
- 8 Hour HAZWOPER Training Refresher Online or Seminar
- 16 Hour HAZWOPER Training Seminar
- 40 Hour HAZWOPER Training Online or Seminar
- We also offer 8 Hour HAZWOEPR Refresher Training in Spanish
Find a 24 Hour HAZWOPER Training Class near you today! View our training dates below. We offer 24 Hour HAZWOPER Classroom Training in more than 60 cities nationwide!
View Course Outline OR Download Course Outline
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
24 Hour HAZWOPER Certification is good for a year. After that, you will need to receive refresher training annually to learn about any updates or changes to HAZWOPER.
All HAZWOPER courses can be taken either online or in a classroom setting except 40 Hour HAZWOPER and the upgrade from 24 hour to 40 hour training, which must include an in-class hands-on portion to be compliant with OSHA.
There are two HAZWOPER Training levels. 40 Hour HAZWOPER- Workers responsible for cleanup operations. 24 Hour HAZWOPER Training is for Occasional site workers that aren't involved in cleanup operations. There are also two other courses related to HAZWOPER. The 8 Hour HAZWOPER course is the refresher course for both 24 and 40 Hour HAZWOPER and the 16 Hour Course that upgrades 24 hour certification to 40 Hour!
40 Hour HAZWOPER Training is designed more for workers that deal with hazardous materials directly, including facilities where HAZMAT is prepared, packaged, labeled, marked, stored, or shipped for disposal and for any facility wherein hazardous wastes are treated, stored, or disposed of. 24 Hour Training is for workers working at these facilities but who don't have any responsibility to deal directly or handle any hazardous materials EX: drillers, surveyors, contractors, administrative personnel & drivers. Many companies will make workers get the 40 Hours course to make sure they are ready for any situation just in case.
24 Hr HAZWOPER Training is for workers who are not required to clean-up hazardous spills or materials, which normally requires 40 Hour training. Also, if conditions don't require a protection level of "C or above (i.e., drillers, surveyors, contractors, administrative personnel & drivers)
OSHA created HAZWOPER, or Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response, to teach employees involved with hazardous waste cleanup, disposal, or emergency response on protecting themselves at work.
According to OSHA, the 24 Hour HAZWOPER Training Course can be completed as an online training course as long as it covers training requirements under OSHA 29 CFR 1910.120. If not, you would need to attend an Instructor-Led course.
HAZWOPER is an acronym for Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response, which is found under OSHA's CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) 1910.120
According to OSHA 24 Hour, HAZWOPER Training is required for "occasional site workers" (those who are not actively involved in the cleanup or removal of hazardous waste). "Workers who must perform duties at a hazardous waste site that has not yet been characterized but where contamination is expected." In short: Workers who don't handle HAZMAT directly or are not involved in the cleanup. Don't confuse 24 Hour HAZWOPER with "24-Hour Emergency Response Technician" training (sometimes incorrectly referred to as "24 Hour HAZWOPER). While part of the same OSHA Standard (29 CFR 1910.120), their training is found under Sub Paragraph "q." 24-Hour Technicians may be involved in the "control and containment" of hazardous waste or materials but, they still cannot handle "clean-up operations." For more information, call an Education Specialist at Call us at 800-711-2706 Ext 1.
The OSHA standard covering 24 Hour HAZWOPER is 29 CFR 1910.120(e). If you need 24 Hour HAZWOPER Training, either online or in a classroom with an Instructor, make sure the training covers all the mandates under OSHA 29 CFR 1910.120, or your certification will not be compliant. This the responsibility of you and your employer.
All initial HAZWOPER Certifications are valid for 1-year (12 months) from the date of completion. To remain valid, employees must complete a refresher course (usually 8-hours in duration) annually. This covers changes in regulations, updates, and new technologies related to HAZWOPER and related sites. For information on 8-Hour Refresher Training, Call us at 800-711-2706 Ext 1.