What is DOT HAZMAT Training and Who Needs it?
What is HAZMAT?
HAZMAT is an abbreviation for hazardous materials, and hazardous materials are substances that pose a reasonable risk to health, property, or the environment.
Some common examples of Hazmat include:
- Toxic Chemicals
- Radiological Agents
- Nuclear Waste
- And much more!
Who needs Dot HAZMAT Training?
First what is HAZMAT Training? The Department of Transportation or DOT created the hazardous materials regulation 49 CFR 172.704 to regulate that transportation of hazardous materials.
49 CFR 172.704 covers anyone who:
- Handles HAZMAT
- Prepares HAZMAT
- Transports HAZMAT
- Ships HAZMAT
HAZMAT employees must receive training within 90 days of starting a job that involves transporting, preparing, shipping, transporting or handling of HAZMAT/hazardous materials.
Training must include:
- Identification of hazardous materials
- Hazard classification system
- Hazardous materials table
- Markings and labels
- Shipping papers
- Requirements for incident reporting
After the initial certification you must receive refresher training every three years to keep your training up to date and compliant with The DOT.
Penalties and Fines
- Maximum civil penalty for HAZMAT shipping violations is $84,439 per day, per violation
- Violations that result in a death, serious injury, illness or property damage are $194,691 per day, per violation
- The Minimum penalty for failure to provide hazmat training to employees is $502 per employee per day
These fines and penalties can add up fast so getting proper training is immensely important!
Get your HAZMAT training today we provide 3 easy ways to train!
(New) DOT HAZMAT Training Virtual Instructor Led Training
Q: Do I need HAZMAT Training to sign a manifest?
A: Yes everyone involved with the shipping or handling or hazardous materials on both ends must receive HAZMAT Training.
Q: How often do I need DOT HAZMAT Training?
A: DOT HAZMAT Training must be refreshed every three years.
Have any question or comments? Please comment below and we will get right back to you!
- Compliance Solutions